Monday, January 02, 2006

We Finally Primed!!!

Alright, we made a good amount of progress on New Year's Eve. The Nintendo coin door I bought off eBay arrived, so we cut the hole for it, attached one last piece, and went for the paint. Here are the pictures:


First we centered the coin door and drew the outline of where it should go.


There's the original Nintendo coin door. It needs some restoration work, but for now we can at least cut the hole for it in the cabinet.


Here's me cutting the hole. Marc could have done it in half the time.


Fits like a glove.


The door has the coin mechs in it which means it'll be more than decoration when I'm through.


Before we primed and painted, we had one final piece to attach. This small thin bar that acts as a spacer between the control panel and the bezel. We had originally tried to attach it like all the other pieces, by screwing it into the sides, but because it's a small piece, it split. So we just used wood glue to secure it to the sides and back (the monitor shelf comes right up to it), and then used a nail gun to secure it firmly to the monitor shelf.


Random picture of Marc cutting a bracket that we will use to hold the bezel and marquee.


I had printed out a copy of my modified control panel artwork that I'll use to place the joysticks and buttons, so we taped it to the actual control panel wood. Then, since I also had a print out of the bezel (because I haven't bought a real one yet), we decided to put it all together and imagine that the cabinet was blue. Then, Marc's little sister was outside, so we added her for the cute effect.


Also cute, but in a different way, is my beautiful wife who was trying to stay out of this picture of the cabinet primed. We didn't take any pictures of the cabinet while we were painting, for obvious reasons. The inside is all black enamel Dunn-Edwards paint applied with a brush for cutting the corners and a small foam roller for the broader parts. The black that will be visible from the outside of the cabinet will require a second, more careful coat for a smoother look. The white primer required two coats as it didn't cover well in some areas. It was applied with a standard roller with short nap for smooth surfaces. We will sand down the primer with 400 grit sandpaper before applying the final blue coat.


Here's a front view that's not as nice because my wife isn't in the picture.


Side view.


Rear view, no pun intended Marc.


Another beautiful shot, and the cabinet too.

1 comment:

Rockman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.